Intern, STEM Programs and Outreach
STEM Programs and Outreach Internship (In-Person)
Have a passion for aerospace, program management, or STEM? Join us as the Winter/Spring 2024 intern for our signature program, the American Rocketry Challenge and Aerospace STEM Clubs. The internship gives selected interns the opportunity to be involved in the hands-on planning and execution of the aerospace and defense industry’s signature STEM initiative, reaching nearly 5,000 students annually. Interns will gain valuable training in project management, communications, and data-driven research.
An intern will work as an integral part of a small team that manages the American Rocketry Challenge, so they will be actively involved in a variety of different program aspects. By the end of the internship, the individual will garner an understanding of non-profit program management, diverse communications skills, and a clear, intern-managed project.
This internship requires a 20-to-25-hour time commitment per week. This internship is based in Washington, D.C. and the Eastern time zone. In-person availability is required. An intern onboard during the month of May 2024 is expected to assist in-person at the American Rocketry Challenge Finals on May 17-18, 2024.
Interested applicants should send in a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications and selection of an intern will be considered on a rolling basis. This is a paid internship at $17/hr.
- Assisting the Program Director in the administration of all programming related to the 2024 American Rocketry Challenge
- Assisting with vendor communication and event management of the 2024 National Finals
- Assisting with digital communications including social media, graphic design, and newsletters
- Selecting, in consultation with the Program Director, a specific project area of the program (Virtual Competitions, Partnerships, Communications, Virtual Events, etc.) to develop and execute project plans
- Assisting with registration and team applications for the 2024 American Rocketry Challenge
- Assisting with the administration of our 2024 STEM Innovation Grant program
- Assisting with the administration of our Alumni Network
- Undergraduate student, seniors preferred, with a passion for aerospace, education, and/or youth engagement. All majors will be considered.
- Prior internship experienced preferred.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication, attention to detail, and time management skills
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel, and Canva.
- Experience with Click-up or another Project Management software is a plus, but not required.
About the American Rocketry Challenge
The American Rocketry Challenge is the world’s largest rocket contest with nearly 5,000 students nationwide competing each year. The contest gives middle and high school students the opportunity to design, build and launch model rockets and hands-on experience solving engineering problems. Since the program’s founding in 2002, over 90,000 students have gained invaluable STEM skills through hands-on, project-based learning.